One Day of Our Life

I am 33, my partner is 30, and our daughter, Marsha, is 2.4 years old. My partner and I have been living together for the last 10 years.

We run our own business here in Samui, which is why I spend most of my weekdays working. Today is Saturday, July 2, one of my days off. This will be spent working at half capacity and enjoying time with my family.

We wake up at about 7am which is not too bad. I used to get up at 6am before our daughter reached her first birthday. She used to drag me out of the house before I could put in my contact lenses. Since then, I’ve purchased glasses for these cases.

Marsha’s found some gloves, has put them on and is now running around naked and very happy.

She then she changed her location to my working area where she unrolled my yoga mat, chose a book (please note, an art book!) and started looking at the pictures. She’s playing for the camera, no doubt.

Now, the rest of my family is already awake and are doing their morning exercises. Poly is going to jog five laps around our community. It might not seem much but it’s extremely hot here now and I admire her willpower.

I then need to think of a new kind of activity for Marsha. I suggest that we go to the “rocks” – a nearby beach, unsuitable for swimming, which seems to be attended only by us.

We take a stroller along. Otherwise, I’d have to carry her in my arms for most of the way.

Having posed for just a couple of shots, Marsha asked to go home. We hadn’t even reached the sandy part of the beach yet. I don’t care though as “the journey is what brings us happiness not the destination.”

Our community

Marsha asked for a banana. I explained to her that it’s polite to keep your mouth closed while chewing. She either misunderstood or was joking around as she closed her mouth with her palm.

The banana is over. I’d rather eat four or five pieces but Poly and I recently decided to have our first meal after midday as we were constantly eating something and our bodies needed the rest.

Now we need to work for a while. I have an appointment at 11am at one of the places which I need to inspect and take pictures of. My family asks to join me and I do not object. This is not Moscow and our child will not hinder anyone. Poly helps by driving.

A road.

We arrive and are really surprised by what we see – an incredibly beautiful six-storey building on a hill among coconut groves. There are fantastic panoramic tropical views to every side – both of the sea and the hills. The manageress says that we’d better come in the evening to see the amazing sunset. From time to time, we speak Thai words that excite her to no end.

Having completed all of the formalities, we ask permission for Marsha to swim in the pool. Certainly no one objects. Marsha proudly swims around accompanied by surprised shouts and wild applause from the staff.

Then we go home where Marsha goes to sleep and we work for a couple of hours. I forgot to take pictures at this time.

Marsha then woke up, took out some bowls and began entertaining herself by throwing them on the tiled floor. They were thundering terribly, and she was totally enchanted with the show which lasted for about 15 minutes. At the same time, she watched cartoons.

Today is Saturday which means that Poly goes to play tennis. In her childhood, she took lessons on lawn tennis and then played it just for pleasure. She didn’t play during her pregnancy and for two years after that. Finally, she found a high-level sparring partner and now plays twice a week. We expect her to take part in the Bangkok Tournament next year. Hopefully, in a couple of years we will get to the Grand Slam! :)

She goes by mountain bike – half an hour each way

Now we have two hours of time to spend. This is why we’re going to perform our favorite ritual – to feed the fish. I ask Marsha to smile for the photo. She is always eager.

We feed the fish in a magical place.

At this temple

We are not original; Thais come here too just to relax, have a snack, and feed the fish. Kids also play here. Only tourists drop in for fifteen minutes to go over the place with their cameras. They never really understand the special atmosphere found here.

Putting 10 Baht (US$0.30) in the slot, you get a bowl of fish food that you empty into the small bucket beside you. Marsha worships this ritual and performs everything by herself.

Going to feed

The background

A plane passes by.

The bucket is empty in 5 minutes.

We need one more shipment. Oh, a cat! We need to catch and pet her. This is a ritual, too.

At the machine, Marsha lost the coin, crying for help in her own kid language. A monk (to the right) came up and helped her find the coin.

Now it’s time for us to go to the local market to buy bananas. These are really tasty here, and are very different from the Moscow ones. We usually eat two bunches a day. On the way, we meet exhausted Poly on her bike.

The local market

Close to home, we notice a huge black cloud. This fact doesn’t bother us. Everything is done and the only thing that we need to do is to put our daughter to sleep. After that, we’ll get our time on the Internet.

Our purchases for the day: only two mangoes, as they are too ripe and sweet for me, bananas for all of us, and mangosteens for Marsha.

This kid can’t stop with her favorite occupation for today – making loud sounds with metal crockery.

Marsha helped her mother drink from a coconut and is now gnawing coconut flesh from the cap.

Polina and Marsha went to sleep and I decided to spend the last hour before bed relaxing away from the computer (an occasion that occurs once in a blue moon).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>